Tetracycline is thought to be a rather widespread medication. Doctors often prescribe it for various purposes. If you were advised to take this medication or just want to learn more about it, reading this article is certainly a nice idea.
When is Tetracycline actually used?
Tetracycline is a drug that belongs to the category of antibiotics. Therefore, it is suggested to the patients in order to treat a lot of infections. When it is taken, the growth of bacteria slows down, and the therapy is prescribed until the symptoms of the health issue disappear.
At the same time, this is what has to be mentioned and kept in mind: Tetracycline is not able to deal with viral infections. Its purpose is to fight the bacterial ones only.
As for the form and strength, Tetracycline is sold as tablets with a dosage of 250 or 500 mg. Most patients are prescribed this form. However, you can also find the topical liquid form (it allows to deal with acne) and capsules too.
How should you take Tetracycline Generic?
Note that you cannot make such a decision on your own. It is your doctor who must provide you with all the necessary instructions. However, you are free to study the common rules of taking Tetracycline:
- You should not eat before taking it;
- The best time to use the drug is one or two hours before the meal;
- You should have a dose that was prescribed by your doctor with a full glass of water.
Individuals need to pay attention to the fact that dairy products bind with tetracycline which prevents its full absorption.
It is important to use the drug at the same time every day. It will help to reach a better therapeutic effect.
If you see that the symptoms of your medical condition (the one Tetracycline was prescribed for) start to fade, it is not the reason to stop the treatment. You’d better inform the doctor about the positive changes, and they will decide what to do in your case. The matter is that if you stop treatment too early, you are likely to face the return of the illness signs.
What are the potential side effects?
There are quite a few of them. It is a great idea to be aware of the majority of negative effects so you will be able to react on time and deal with a certain condition. Besides, it might be necessary to help a person who is taking Tetracycline in order to treat their condition.
Well, here are the side effects to know about:
- Sore throat;
- Rectal discomfort;
- Headache, etc.
It is advisable to refer to the doctor’s help when you see that some of these symptoms are getting worse. You should not ignore them because they may result in great trouble for your health. At the same time, there are a lot of patients who do not come across any of the side effects at all.
You should note that there are also some serious consequences of taking the drug. Feel free to get acquainted with them in the list below:
- Untypical fatigue;
- Muscle pains;
- Kidney problems (for instance, you might notice that the amount of your urine changed);
- Trouble hearing (like you start to hear worse);
- Dark urine.
All of this should really alarm you and you need to contact the doctor ASAP.
Read this before you start treatment with Tetracycline Generic
The list offered below is what you need to familiarize yourself with beforehand. It is a sort of a list of precautions, and you should surely get to know them all.
- You should not neglect to disclose your medical history to the doctor who will be responsible for your therapy in general and with Tetracycline in particular. When they find out about certain diseases or problems, they may make a decision not to prescribe this medicine, replace it with something else, or come up with a different plan of treatment. It is especially relevant to mention kidney and liver problems, trouble swallowing, and other medical conditions that you have now or used to experience before (no matter how long ago it was).
- If you know that you develop an allergy to tetracycline, do not forget to mention it when you consult a doctor. They will find something else to replace it with.
- It has already been noted that tetracycline is likely to cause dizziness in some patients. The same can be observed when people consume alcohol. As you can understand, combining alcoholic beverages and Tetracycline can result in worsening the way you feel a lot.
- If you plan to be vaccinated (this concerns a live bacterial vaccine), you need to know that Tetracycline may cause some troubles regarding the working of this vaccine. That is why your doctor may come up with the decision to postpone vaccination a bit.
- There is one more fact to keep in mind. The active ingredient of the medication is likely to make you more sensitive to the sun. What does it mean? The best you can do for your body when you are taking Tetracycline is to limit the time you are about to spend in the sun. This is it. The same can be told about tanning booths and sunlamps.
Besides, if you are an elderly person, you need to be careful when taking the drug. Here is why: older patients develop more severe side effects compared to the younger population.
As for kids, the medication should not be prescribed to those younger than eight years old. A problem such as a tooth discoloration is likely to take place in this case.
How to deal with missing a dose or overdose
If you see that you took a greater or smaller dose of the drug, do not start panicking. Everything will be clear to you if you take a look at what is said below.
First of all, let’s deal with the overdose. It is a rather dangerous situation but it is important how much you have taken. The worries are logical only if there are some serious symptoms like trouble breathing or passing out. In this case, it is reasonable to call an emergency or a poison control center. Either option is going to be fine.
If you took a greater dose of Tetracycline than necessary and you feel okay, there are no reasons to worry. At the same time, it also depends on how many tablets you have taken exactly.
As for the missed dose, just take the tablet once you remember that you missed one. Nevertheless, it is strictly forbidden to double the dose. Basically, this is all you need to keep in mind.
Considering the Price: How much will you spend to get the drug?
Canadian pharmacies offer different prices. The prices will also depend on whether you are going to be able to find some discounts or use the coupons when purchasing Tetracycline. If you are, you have decent chances to save your funds.
On average, the cost of Tetracycline is not crazy. You can get this generic drug for about $20 if you plan to use the 250 mg dosage. This will be paid for 100 pills. Those who intend to use a dosage of 500 mg may expect to spend around $40 while getting the same amount of the medication.
What if you have several questions regarding the use of Tetracycline Generic?
If you feel like you need a consultation, you’d better ask your doctor about anything that worries you. They will be able to explain everything as clearly as possible.
The only piece of advice that can be given here is this one: stick to what your doctor says. They have relevant knowledge and experience, which is a good reason to consider what they have to tell.